Derek Keilty’s new middle grade novel, ‘Flyntlock Bones and the Sceptre of the Pharaohs’ published last Thursday. This gem of a book is a fantastic mix of pirates and detectives – what more could you want!
Meet Captain John Hamish Watkins and his pirate crew: Briggs the quartermaster, Fishbreath the cook, Master Hudson the ship’s Bosun, the riggers Drudger, Snitch and Dedweard – oh and last but not least Red, the girl rigger who becomes Flynn’s friend and ally on board this unruly ship! Flynn’s first case is a summons for help from Miss Kristina Wrinkly, curator of the Gypshun museum. There’s been a break-in, and priceless, ancient artefacts have been stolen including the irreplaceable sceptre of the Pharaohs!
Lucky for me, Derek found five minutes to answer a few questions for me!
- What was the last book you read?- The Talented Mr Ripley
- What was your favourite book when you were 10?- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Hardback, paperback or ebook?- Paperback
- Tea or coffee?- Both
- When you write, do you handwrite or type?- Handwrite then type
- Night in or night out?- Night in
- Are you right or left handed?- Left
- What was the last series you binge-watched?- GOT
- If you could have written any book, what would it have been?- Rebecca
- City break or beach holiday? Beach
- Where’s your favourite place to read? Living room
- If you could have an unlimited supply of one thing, what would it be? Chocolate
- What would your superpower be? Flight
- What’s the best advice you’ve been given/ heard? Keep calm
- Can you roll your tongue? Yes
- Would you rather be stuck in a lift, or stuck at the top of a rollercoaster? rollercoaster
- Summer or winter? Summer
- What’s your favourite thing on toast? Jam
- Do you have any phobias? NO
- If you had to compete in the Olympics, which sport would you pick?- Football
- What’s the furthest you’ve been from home? Australia
- Cats or dogs? dogs
- If you could only recommend one book, what would it be? Flyntlock Bones 😊
- What was the last thing you ate? Sandwich
- If you were an animal, what would you be? Lion
- What’s your favourite takeaway? Pizza
- Would you rather be too hot or too cold? Too hot
- If you had to work for the emergency services, which would you pick? Fire service
- It’s not Christmas without… pressies
- What was the first album you bought? Michael Jackson Thriller
- Where was your first job? Bank clerk
- Do you re-read books? Yes
- If you could have invented anything in the world, what would you pick? Mobile phone
‘Flyntlock Bones and the Sceptre of the Pharaohs’ is out now.
Thank you to Derek Keilty, Laura Smythe and Scallywag Press for a review copy of this book and their time.